Minutes 15th May 2019

Minutes of an Ordinary Meeting of the Parish Council held in The Memorial Hall, Salford Priors on Wednesday 15th May 2019

Present: Councillors: Cllr A Green (Chairman), L Maude, J Stedman, K James, D Penn, T Shale, P Gordon, C Hickman

Also in attendance:1 member of the public.

1. Apologies accepted for absence:

Cllr Pattison

2. Register of Interests: Members were reminded of the need to keep their register of interests up to date
3. Declaration of Interests: Members were asked to disclose any disclosable pecuniary interests in items on the Agenda and their nature.  Councillors with a disclosable pecuniary interest are required to leave the room for the relevant agenda item.


Cllr Gordon – 7b planning application & 8b request re extending the skatepark

Cllr Maude – 12e Sustrans proposal for Cross Parish Cycle & Pathways Project

a)    Pecuniary Interests.

Members were asked to declare any other disclosable interests in items on the Agenda and their nature.

b)    Other Disclosable Interests. None.

4. Open Forum: The Chairman moved that the meeting be adjourned for the Public Open Forum and this was agreed.


A resident queried the future of the Speed Awareness Group.  Cllr Green advised that the Parish Council are awaiting results of the questionnaire to find out if there are any volunteers.


a)     Have your say. No under 18s were present.

b)     County Council Member’s Report – County Councillor Mike Brain sent his apologies.

c)     District Council – New District Councillor not present.

The Chairman closed the adjournment at 19:52 hrs.

5. Acceptance of Minutes:

The Minutes of the Ordinary Parish Council Meeting held on Wednesday 17th April 2019 at The Memorial Hall, Salford Priors were agreed by the Council to be a true record of the meeting and signed by the Chairman.

6. Clerk’s Progress Report:

a)     CALA Homes have confirmed the following:

·       The chicanes will remain in place on School Rd, as well as the new speed cushions that will be installed.

·       They are happy to run a speed awareness poster competition at both schools within the parish.

·       They are looking into the possibility of sponsoring the telephone kiosk refurbishment

·       They are happy to visit Salford Priors Primary School warning of the dangers of building sites and have already discussed this with the Headteacher.

b)     Evesham Rd speeding – PCSO Carolyn Davis has confirmed she will be carrying out regular speed checks.  Clerk to monitor.

c)     Speed Awareness – No further update.

d)     Highway road sign at the approach to Iron Cross crossroads – ongoing.  Clerk to monitor.

e)     Wetlands area fly tipping – Wychavon District Council have now completed all the clear up works in the area and confirmed they will be carrying out regular litter picks.  Noted and Closed.

f)      Electrical works to TOPs building.  Awaiting Asbestos report before work can be carried out.  Clerk to monitor.

g)     Salford House Residence for the Retired boundary wall – Clerk has spoken with someone at the home who has stated they are waiting for someone to look at the trees before the wall can be repaired.  She is awaiting a phone call from the owner.  Clerk to monitor.

h)     Clerk has received notification from Ragley that Severn Trent Water will be carrying out some works to the drive area on Tothall Lane and will confirm once the work has been done.  Clerk to monitor.

i)      Bus Shelter at Iron’s Crossthese works are due to be completed early next week (w/b 13.5.19)

j)      Solar light on playing field – Clerk is still trying to obtain quotes.  Clerk to monitor.

k)     Asbestos Management Report to TOPs building – this was carried out by RSK on Monday 13th May.  Clerk awaiting report.

l)      Phil Rafferty, Environmental Protection Officer, Stratford District Council has confirmed he is happy to visit Salford Priors Primary School to start the dog fouling poster campaign.  Clerk has forwarded his details to the school for them to contact him direct.

m)   Telephone kiosk refurbishment – Clerk has requested the Lengthsman to provide a risk assessment and method statement as to how he proposes refurbishing as the kiosk was painted with lead paint and is on school premises.  Clerk awaiting a response.

7. Planning Matters: Applications Considered:

a)     19/00381/FUL – amendment plan received providing an illustration showing a gradient on the proposed driveway at 15 & 16 School Rd, Salford Priors, WR11 8XD.  Following inspection of these plans using the projector it was agreed for Clerk to return the comments “No objection”.

b)     19/00976/FUL – Proposed new dwelling with associated off-road parking at Marcy Oaks, 6 Ridsdale Close, Salford Priors, WR11 8XA.  Following inspection of these plans using the projector it was agreed for Clerk to return the comments “No objection”. (Cllr Gordon did not take part in this discussion)

Planning Applications Noted:

c)     19/00897/FUL – construction of a MUGA (Multi Use Games Area) including change of use of the site from horticultural to recreational (Class D2) at Orchard School of Cookery, Evesham Rd, Salford Priors.  Following correspondence via email Clerk returned a response of “No Objection”

Planning Decisions:

d)     18/03712/FUL – Amendments to previously approved permission (17/0821)FUL. Conversion of existing buildings to 3 dwellings with all associated works, single storey rear extension to Unit 2 and proposed new garage at Tothall Farm, Tothall Lane, Salford Priors, Evesham.  Planning Permission granted Subject to Conditions

e)     19/00542/ADV – Installation of 2 post mounted signs at land off School Rd, School Rd, Salford Priors.  Consent Refused.

8. Playing Field:

a)     The monthly inspection was carried out on 25th April.  There is a slight concern with a split in the wood on one of the pieces of equipment.  Clerk has contacted Kompan who has stated that this is completely normal with Robinia and only becomes an issue if the split is over 8mm.  This will be checked on the next inspection and Clerk advised.

b)     A request has been received from a resident requesting an extension to the skatepark.  This to be considered by the CIL (Community Infrastructure Levy) Working Group.  It was suggested that the resident looks into proposals with a peer group to present to the CIL Working Group.  (Cllr Gordon did not take part in the discussion)

c)     It has been advised for the 5 a side goalposts be moved on the playing field to enable the grass in front of the posts to recover.  Clerk to instruct the Lengthsman to carry out these works.

9. Working Groups:

a)     Christmas Tree Switch On – not meeting until September

b)     Communications – date to be set to discuss questionnaire data

c)     Streetlights – a date to be set for a meeting following a request from CALA Homes to consider a streetlighting request on the development on School Rd

d)     CIL – to set a date once proposals have been received from resident regarding extending the skate park.

10. Highways:

Clerk has not received an update from the Lengthsman however has been advised he has been unwell and is behind on some works.

Future Tasks

To re-set the goalposts on the playing field

11. Garden Allotments:

Clerk still awaiting 2 invoices to be paid.

12. Community:

a)     It was noted that the suggested street name given to the cul-de-sac off School Rd as part of the new development is Cedar Close.

b)     It was proposed that Clerk apply for the sum of £500 to the County Councillor Grant Fund 19/20 to help towards the conversion of the telephone kiosk for the book lending project.

c)     The response from John Crossling WALC was noted, confirming the use of Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976 s19 “Power to provide sports facilities in or outside the Council’s area or contribute towards the expenses of any voluntary organisation or local authority that provides sports facilities in or outside of the Council’s area.  Furthermore, it provides the power to provide and contribute to a wide range of recreational facilities in or outside the Council’s area.  This is in relation to a request from the Cross Parish Cycle & Pathways Project for £3,000 towards the cost of a feasibility study towards the proposed cycleways project.

d)     It was noted from the recent questionnaire sent to all residents that 58% out of 208 responses were in favour of supporting a multi-parish initiative to create a new cycleway from Evesham to Alcester which will incur expenses for the Parish Council.

e)     The Sustrans proposal regarding the creation of a new multi user path between Evesham and Alcester, relating to the work specifically carried out within the Salford Priors Parish was considered.  Following discussion Cllr James proposed the request is supported to the sum of £3,000 with Cllr Stedman seconding.  Unanimous approval (Cllr Maude did not take part in the vote).

13. Rights of Way:

a)     Cllr Penn had nothing to report.

b)     It was noted a request had been received for 2 kissing gates to be installed on public footpath AL42A leading on to Wood Bevington Lane as the new tenant farmer is putting cattle in the field and the boundaries need to be secure.  Clerk has contacted the PROW Team, Warwickshire County Council and initiated the process.

14. Matters raised by Councillors:   The following matters were raised by Council Members:

Cllr Shale brought up whether the sub-station by Park Hall Mews will be shielded by anything now the conifers have been cut down. Clerk has contacted Taylor Wimpey who own the land, however, has not received a response.  This was referred to the Amenity Working Group.

15. Correspondence Considered: (Yellow papers)

a)     A Community Grant Fund request has been received from Friends of Dunnington School in the sum of £2000 towards the new school website.  Following discussion, this was refused as it doesn’t benefit the educational needs of the school.  It was recommended they look towards Stratford College or Worcester University who would look at developing a website free of charge.  Unanimous agreement.

b)     An email had been received from a resident asking whether the proposed protection for the orchard at Dunnington School was dropped from the final version of the Salford Priors Neighbourhood Plan and if so why?  The resident was unable to attend the May meeting and asked if this could be deferred to the June meeting in order for her to be present.  Members decided to respond to her email as follows:

·       SP17, table 7 outlined special areas of protection – the wetlands, church fields, the pool by the Worcester meadow, the Garrard Close pond, the quarry pools, brooks and the orchards at Dunnington.  Policy 17 was removed from the NDP by the Inspector in his report of independent examination stating that it did not comply with the NDP, nor the Stratford Core Strategy.  Obtaining green space in the NDP has to have the landowners consent which was objected to by the Ragley Estate.  The orchard was not historical, the commercial orchard was diseased and not commercially viable and it was therefore not recognised to be protected.  Unfortunately, there was nothing the PC could do.

·       The Parish Council were also asked about the maintenance to the boundary hedges however this is a legal civil matter that is not within the remit of the Parish Council to discuss or be involved with and is not therefore appropriate for the Parish Council to respond to.

16. Correspondence Noted:


17. Finance:

a)     A copy of Section 2 Annual Governance and Accountability Return Salford Priors Parish Council Accounts FY 2018/19 was provided for inspection and debate by all Council Members. Confirmation of acceptance was proposed by Cllr Stedman, seconded by Cllr James and agreed by all Councillors. Clerk to prepare Section 2 entries for Minute Reference, dating and signature.

b)     On 30 June the fixed for business contract with EDF for the TOPs building will end.  Clerk has investigated cheapest rates and concluded that EDF are offering the best rate with no change to the standing charge of 25p per day, and the unit rate increasing slightly from 13.63 to 15.97.  This will mean the estimated annual bill value will increase from £728.17 to £837.52.  Proposed by Cllr Shale, seconded by Cllr Maude.  Unanimous agreement.

c)     The council gave consideration and approval of the payments listed in Appendix A.

d)     It was agreed that Cllrs James and Green would sign cheques for payments/BACS remittances listed in Appendix A (Minute 21).

e)     Clerk to obtain information for Cllr Hickman to become a signatory on the account.

f)      Members noted that the first precept payment of £32,500 has been received from Stratford District Council.


The Council noted the account balances reconciled with the Lloyds Bank Current Account statement Number 1 and Deposit Account Statement 42 issued 1st May 2019 :-

Lloyds Deposit Account:   £  68,116.57

Lloyds Current Account    £  38,864.30
Total Fund Balance             £106,980.87


18. Staffing Confidential:

The former Staffing Committee met with the Clerk, went through a detailed report and received the views of the Clerk.  The Council should recognise that if the Clerk wants to do any training this should not be at her expense or time so the hours should be taken off her monthly allocation.  Cllr Green expressed his thanks to the Clerk for her work for the past year.

19. Date of Next Meeting:

Council confirmed the date of the next Ordinary Parish Council Meeting on Wednesday 19th June 2019 at 7.00pm in the Dunnington Baptist Church Hall.

20. Closure of Meeting:  The Chairman closed the meeting at 21.00 hrs




Chairman: ______________________________________________Date:_________________





000531 Miss S Hyde Delivery of questionnaire 40.00 40.00
000532 HMRC Clerk & PC NIC 37.43 37.43
000533 SP Post Office & Storess Annual Electricity Payment 50.00 50.00
DD Lloyds Bank Bank Charges 8.45 8.45
DD EDF Energy TOPs Electricity 57.00 57.00
DD Digital Copier Systems Photocopier Charges Mar 42.00 7.00 35.00
DD NEST Pension Clerk’s Pension 57.73 57.73
DD Water Plus Water drainage TOPs 61.49 61.49
DD Npower Streetlight Energy 298.27 298.27
DD Npower Streetlight Energy 114.56 114.56
BACS P Batacanin Playing Field Insp Apr 10.00 10.00
BACS TOPs Hire of TOPs 130.00 130.00
BACS JRB Enterprise Dog Bags 71.40 11.90 59.50
BACS Mrs D Bowles SMTP2Go Subs 42.66 42.66
BACS Zurich Municipal Annual Insurance 1320.11 1320.11
BACS Mrs D Bowles Salary & Expenses 834.63 834.63
BACS Digital Copier Systems Ltd Photocopier Charges 37.54 6.26 31.28
BACS Limebridge Rural Services Ltd Amenity Contract 1896.84 316.14 1580.70
Total     5110.11 341.30 4768.81