Minutes 16th October 2019

Salford Priors Parish Council


Minutes of an Ordinary Meeting of the Parish Council held in The Memorial Hall, Salford Priors on Wednesday 16th October 2019.


Present:  Councillors: Cllr A Green (Chairman), K Pattison, L Maude, J Stedman, D Penn, T Shale, C Hickman, County Councillor Mike Brain


Also in attendance: 7 members of the public.


1 Apologies accepted for absence:

Cllr James

2 Register of Interests: Members were reminded of the need to keep their register of interests up to date
3 Declaration of Interests: Members were asked to disclose any disclosable pecuniary interests in items on the Agenda and their nature.  Councillors with a disclosable pecuniary interest are required to leave the room for the relevant agenda item.


Cllrs Penn & Stedman 12e – amenity contract update


a)    Pecuniary Interests.

Members were asked to declare any other disclosable interests in items on the Agenda and their nature.

b)    Other Disclosable Interests. None.

4 Open Forum: The Chairman moved that the meeting be adjourned for the Public Open Forum and this was agreed.


Residents reported:

1.     A roadside drain opposite Jack Thomson Croft is completely blocked.  Clerk to report.

2.     Issue with HGVs trying to get to Angus Soft Fruits.  Westpoint Construction have put someone at the bottom of the road to re-direct the traffic.

3.     There have been major issues with New Inn Lane and HGVs which have been wrongly re-directed (and wrongly sign posted initially)

4.     County Councillor Mike Brain reported that Highways have apologised profusely for their error with regards to the road closure.  Cllr Green stated that it was disappointing that Highways had not contacted the Parish Council in the first instance.  County Councillor Mike Brain is now insisting that all future proposed road diversions are visited and not carried out in the office.  He confirmed that repair works will be carried out to all the damaged areas in the Parish.

5.     Cllr Stedman suggested writing a letter of complaint to Highways from the Parish Council, cc County Councillor Mike Brain.

6.     Complaints were made regarding Public Rights Of Way.  Cllr Green informed residents that all routes receiving complaints are being looked at and reported.

7.     PROW AL17 should now be re-routed back to its original position. Clerk to report.


Presentation was received from John James – Patients Participation Group, Bidford Health Centre.  They are looking to advertise this service and recruit new members.

a)     Have your say. No under 18s were present.

b)     County Council Member’s Report –

2nd round of County Councillor Grant closes 21st October.

The Chairman closed the open forum and reconvened the meeting at 19:30

5 Acceptance of Minutes:

The Minutes of the Ordinary Parish Council Meeting held on Wednesday 18th September 2019 at The Memorial Hall, Salford Priors were agreed by the Council to be a true record of the meeting and signed by the Chairman.

6 Planning Matters: Applications Considered:

None received.

Planning Comments Noted:

a)     19/02518/COUQ – Prior approval notification for the change of use of agricultural building into 2no. dwellings including associated operational development under Class Q(b) at Wood Bevington Farm Barn B, Wood Bevington, Alcester, B49 5LX.  Following the last Parish Council meeting, and email correspondence with Members it was decided to return the following comments:

“Objection – the Parish Council raise objection to the proposed change of use of an agricultural building to residential dwelling.


A dwelling in this location would be wholly unsustainable in infrastructure and service terms, thereby creating an undesirable precedent for similar proposals should the application be approved, eg occupiers would have to travel everywhere by car – it is not sustainable.

There is no evidence base in place to demonstrate a robust link between the nearby agricultural businesses and the apparent requirement for a dwelling in this location.

There is no evidence identified that this proposal would meet local need or fulfils the criteria of a local choice scheme CS.15

A dwelling in this location could cause conflicts to arise between their eventual owner/occupiers and the tenants/owners making lawful use of the adjacent agricultural land.

This does not constitute a change of use due to the extensive structural work required to make it a residential dwelling.  The structure issues raised constitute that this proposal does not meet the requirements of Class Q legislative considerations therefore a full planning application should be required.

In conclusion the Government’s Planning Practice Guidance states ‘It is not the intention of the permitted development right to include the construction of new structural elements for the building.  Therefore, it is only where the existing building is structurally strong enough to take the loading which comes with the external works to provide for residential use that the building would be considered to have the permitted development right’. This application fails to meet the criteria as set out in Part 3, Class Q of the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 2015.”

b)     19/02468/OUT – Outline permission for a single dwelling at Broom Junction Former Railway Station, High Street, Broom.  Following consultation via email with Members it was decided for Clerk to respond with the following: ‘The Parish Council object to this proposal for a new dwelling in open countryside and outside of any development area, it is not supported by the NDP and is contrary to many planning policies of the core strategy and NDP’

c)     19/02612/FUL – Proposed single store and two storey extensions to dwelling, insertion of dormer windows and alterations to the external appearance of the dwelling.  Erection of detached garage at Oakfields, Salford Road, Rushford, WR11 8SL.  Following consultation via email with Members it was decided for Clerk to respond with the ‘No Objection’

Planning Decisions Noted:

d)     19/02286/TREE – Arboricultural works at land near to St Matthews Church, Station Road, Salford Priors – No Objection

e)     19/01862/VARY – Proposed variation of Condition 3 of planning permission 17/03610/FUL dated 17 January 2018 to extend 5-year time limit for modular building by an additional 3 years.  Original description of development – Erection of a 2 storey modular building to provide additional office space.  Planning Permission Granted with Conditions.

f)      Appeal Ref: APP/J3720/Z/19/3229926 – Land off School Lane, Salford Priors, Evesham WR11 8XD.  Appeal Dismissed.


7 Clerk’s Progress Report:

a)     Clerk has issued an order for the flooring to be repaired in both toilets of the TOPs building.  Clerk to monitor.

b)     Clerk has issued an order for three dog waste bins to be moved within the parish.  Clerk to monitor.

c)     Clerk has issued a PO for the solar lights in the playing field to be replaced.  Awaiting an installation date.  Clerk to monitor.

d)     Clerk has issued letters regarding overgrown hedges around the parish.  Although hedges have been cut, they are still leaning into the road.  Clerk to write again.

e)     Clerk confirmed she has received acknowledgement of the Parish Council’s responses regarding the Stratford District Council Site Allocations Consultation.  Noted and Closed.

f)      Members were informed that the Community Speed Watch training has been suspended across Warwickshire following its split with West Mercia.  Training will resume once more when a further person has been appointed to this position.  Noted.

8 Playing Field:

Monthly playing field inspection took place on 27th September 2019 reporting an issue with the 5-a-side goal fixings.  Clerk has now ordered relevant fixings for the Lengthsman to install.

9 Highways:

The telephone box is in the process of being refurbished.

1.     Christmas lights to be installed before Switch On Event.

2.     Leaf clearance from footpath on Station Rd along church wall on a regular basis.

10 Garden Allotments:

a)     Cllr Pattison stated that allotment holders have requested approval to have a fire once a year to burn all the rubbish.  Cllr Stedman proposed that provided all allotment holders have one fire between them, ensuring the wind is blowing in the right direction there shouldn’t be a problem.  Cllr Green suggested a risk assessment be put in place.   Vegetative waste only.  Unanimous approval.

11 Rights of Way:

a)     Various issues discussed in Open Forum.

b)     Cllr Penn had nothing to report.

c)     Cllr Green has received offers from some residents volunteering to look after the PROW.  All Members were in agreement to advertise this in the next newsletter.  The PROW map to be put on the website.

d)     Clerk to contact Ragley Estate regarding setting up a permissive route, connecting AL17 to AL11 along Ragley land.

12 Working Groups:

a)     Christmas Tree Switch On – It was noted that Clerk has issued a PO for the Christmas tree and ordered the wooden tree decorations for the children of the 2 parish schools. Next meeting will take place at the end of October.  There has been a good response for donations from local businesses.

b)     Communications – Cllr Pattison confirmed she has arranged a meeting to be held at the TOPs building on Tuesday 19th November at 7.30pm to see how much interest there is in arranging an event for VE75.  She will also set up a meeting to update the Introduction to Salford Priors, and re-print the book of walks.

c)     Streetlights – meeting not necessary at this time.

d)     CIL – no update.  Still awaiting confirmation of funding.

e)     Amenity – it was noted that Clerk has issued a letter to Amenity Contractor offering a 1-year extension, with revised costings to 2021, which has been accepted.

f)      The asset check has not yet taken place, nor the discussion regarding insurance values.  Cllrs Green & Stedman to carry this out and report back at the November meeting.

g)     Community Emergency Plan awaiting update.  Clerk to email the current plan to Cllr Stedman. This will also be reported back at the November meeting.


13 Community :

a)     No decision was made as to where to re-site the bus shelter however Cllr Stedman has offered to store it for the time being.  Clerk to issue a PO to Amenity Contractor to collect and store the shelter.  To also contact CALA to arrange for its removal and request repair.

b)     It was decided for Cllr Shale to join the Christmas Switch On Group, and Cllr Pattison to join the TOPs Management Group following Paula Gordon’s resignation.  All other working groups to remain the same.

c)     Cllr Maude is awaiting contact from website provider to enable the site to go live.  He will also arrange for a quote increase email storage.

14 Matters raised by Councillors:   The following matters were raised by Council Members:

a)     Cllr Green proposed adopting a draft Staff Appraisal Policy which was sent via email.  Unanimous approval.

b)     Cllr Stedman brought up the matter of a problem with Orbit, Clerk to meet with Cllr Stedman and contact Orbit.

c)     Cllr Green – the development on Evesham Rd is now nearing completion and he has proposed that trees are planted on the grass verge to deter people parking on it.  To consider at the November agenda.

d)     Cllr Maude has confirmed the draft feasibility study from Sustrans is now available regarding the Cross Parish Cycleways & Pathways Project.  Clerk to send link to summary for Members to view.  He will provide a summary report at the November meeting.

15 Correspondence Considered: (Yellow papers)

a)     Members considered the request for a donation to UBUS and decided against this.  Clerk has advertised the service on E-News and Facebook.

b)     Following receipt of an email from a resident regarding streetlighting on the new Evesham Rd estate, Clerk to respond that whilst the Parish Council have a dark skies policy they have no power to stop streetlighting if approved by the District Council.  To confirm that the Parish Council will not adopt the streetlighting, and therefore this will not cost the residents any money.

c)     Members considered the Stratford District Council garden waste consultation. Cllr Stedman proposed that Members agree to the scheme.  This was not seconded and therefore this proposal was lost.  Cllr Pattison then proposed that this should be objected to, with Cllr Penn seconding.  This was put to a vote with the majority in agreement with Cllr Pattison.  She will provide the wording for the consultation for Clerk to submit.

d)     Members considered applying for funding for a free ATM in the village.  Cllr Stedman proposed that providing the shop is in agreement for a free standing ATM to be held for the Clerk to look into.  Unanimous approval.

16 Correspondence Noted:


17 Finance:

a)     Members considered the provision of a Parish Council wreath and donation for Royal British Legion Service of Remembrance on Sunday 10th November 2019. Cllr Green proposed £250 donation plus £18.50 for the wreath.  Unanimous approval.

b)     Consideration was given to the second quarterly bank reconciliation, account balances and income and expenditure budgets. These were agreed by all Councillors. Cllr Penn signed the quarterly bank reconciliation.

c)     The council gave consideration and approval of the payments listed in Appendix A.

d)     Proposed by Cllr Pattison, seconded by Cllr Hickman and agreed by all Councillors.

e)     It was agreed that Cllrs Green & Maude would sign cheques for payments listed in Appendix A (Minute 21).

f)      The Council noted the account balances reconciled with the Lloyds Bank Current Account statement number 18 and Deposit Account Statement 46 issued 1st September 2019:-



Lloyds Deposit Account:   £ 75,673.65

Lloyds Current Account    £ 36,013.21
Total Fund Balance             £111,686.86


18 It was resolved that the meeting be put into a closed session in order to discuss a confidential matter, however all residents had in fact left the meeting at the time.
19 Date of Next Meeting:

Council confirmed the date of the next Ordinary Parish Council Meeting on Wednesday 20th November 2019 at 7.00pm in the Memorial Hall, Salford Priors.

20 Closure of Meeting:  The Chairman closed the meeting at 20.50 hrs




Chairman: ______________________________________________Date:_________________




000541 HMRC Clerk & PC NIC 22.15   22.15
BACS Digital Copier Systems Photocopier Charges 25.79 4.30 21.49
BACS SP Mem Hall Hire of Hall 450.00   450.00
BACS Arrowscape Website Updates 5.3.19-4.9.19 98.40   98.40
BACS Arrowscape Website Updates


128.80   128.80
BACS Festive Lights Additional Xmas Lighting 189.54 31.59 157.95
BACS Mrs D Bowles Temporary Event Notice Xmas 21.00   21.00
BACS Mrs D Bowles Clerk Salary & Expenses 805.52   805.52
BACS Leach’s 5-a-side anchoring 152.76 25.46 127.30
BACS Mr J Hyde Lengthsman Works 299.50   299.50
BACS Mr P Batacanin Monthly Playing Field Inspection 10.00   10.00
BACS Baker Ross 3D Xmas Decs 62.51 10.42 52.09
BACS Baker Ross 3D Xmas Decs 22.74 3.79 18.95
BACS Limebridge Rural Services Ltd Amenity Contract 1,548.52 258.09 1,290.43
BACS Sustrans Cycleways Project 2,880.00 480.00 2,400.00
BACS Mrs D Bowles Varnish for Decs 18.00   18.00
DD EDF Energy TOPs Electricity 57.00   57.00
DD CF Corporate Finance Photocopier Lease Oct 42.00 7.00 35.00
DD NEST Clerk’s Pension 95.93   95.93
DD Lloyds Bank Bank Charges to 9.6.19 7.80   7.80
      6,937.96 820.65 6,117.31

Leave a comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.