Minutes 20th November 2019

Salford Priors Parish Council

Minutes of an Ordinary Meeting of the Parish Council held in The Memorial Hall, Salford Priors on Wednesday 20th November 2019.

Present:  Councillors: Cllr A Green (Chairman), L Maude, K James, D Penn, T Shale & County Councillor Mike Brain

Also in attendance: Donna Bowles (Clerk) & 1 member of the public.

1.       Apologies accepted for absence:

Cllr Hickman, Cllr Pattison

Members noted Cllr Stedman’s resignation.  Clerk to send letter of thanks for his many years of contribution.

2.       Register of Interests: Members were reminded of the need to keep their register of interests up to date
3.       Declaration of Interests: Members were asked to disclose any disclosable pecuniary interests in items on the Agenda and their nature.  Councillors with a disclosable pecuniary interest are required to leave the room for the relevant agenda item.


a)    Pecuniary Interests.


Members were asked to declare any other disclosable interests in items on the Agenda and their nature.


b)    Other Disclosable Interests.

Cllr Penn – 7b planning application

4.       Open Forum: The Chairman moved that the meeting be adjourned for the Public Open Forum and this was agreed.

Have your say.

a)     A member of the public raised a problem with water pooling just outside The Vineyard Pub, Abbots Salford.  Clerk to report to Highways.

b)     No under 18s were present.

c)     County Councillor Mike Brain Reported –

1.     He gave his heartfelt thanks to Cllr Stedman and thanked him for all he’s done over the many years he has been a Parish Councillor.

2.     Flooding has caused major problems for many householders.  He has since liaised with the Warwickshire County Council team responsible for flood prevention to see what work has been carried out since the last major floods and what liaison there has been with the Environmental Agency.  He will report his findings when available although he stated that grants to the Environmental Agency have been made by Warwickshire County Council for flood elevation schemes in some areas and debris, silt and trees have been trimmed or removed at the river bridges and embankments.

3.     He serves as a Member to the Adult Social Care & Health Overview & Scrutiny Committee and stated that if anyone has any concerns related to issues covered by the Committee, he will be more than happy to champion them.

4.     He confirmed the responsibilities of District & County Councils and highlighted his main responsibilities.

The Chairman closed the open forum and reconvened the meeting at 19:10

5.       It was noted that no applications for the Co-Opted vacancy have been received.  Following Cllr Stedman’s resignation this now provides 2 vacancies to be advertised. Date set for receipt of new applications is 2nd February 2020.


6.       Acceptance of Minutes:

The Minutes of the Ordinary Parish Council Meeting held on Wednesday 16th October 2019 at The Memorial Hall, Salford Priors were agreed by the Council to be a true record of the meeting and signed by the Chairman.

7.       Planning Matters: Applications Considered:

a)     19/03057/TREE – T1 – hazel stool – remove most mature growth (7 stems), several of which are overhanging neighbour’s property, leaving younger stems.  T2 – purple beech – crown lift by 3 metres at Godiva Cottage, Evesham Rd, Salford Priors, WR11 8UU.  Following a discussion Members agreed for the Clerk to provide the response “No Objection”

b)     19/02570/FUL – erection of detached dwelling at 12 School Avenue, Salford Priors, WR11 8XB.   Following a discussion Members agreed for the Clerk to provide the response “The Parish Council supports the principal of infill development where appropriate, does not have an impact on the street scene and is in accordance with the Salford Priors Neighbourhood Development Plan.  However, the restricted size of the site and its relationship to adjoining properties would result in an unacceptable form of residential development and be detrimental to the existing street scene. The proposed access to the development from Risdale Close would also have a negative impact on the existing road with its proximity to the junction with School Road and the Post Office and Store.  Therefore, the Parish Council object to this application.”

c)     19/03083/COUQ – Change of use of an agricultural building, along with land within its curtilage to form a single dwelling at Barn 1 & Office, Old Dunnington Farm, Dunnington, Alcester, B49 5NU.  Following a discussion Members agreed for the Clerk to provide the response “The Parish Council supports this application. It is bringing a former traditional Warwickshire agricultural building back into use as a dwelling and home office”.

Planning Comments Noted:

d)     19/02537/LBC – repair and replace timber frame as necessary, repair and replace infill panels as necessary, remove concrete floor and replace with limecrete, remove all external cement render and non-lime based paint and replace with appropriate products, remove all internal gypsum based plaster and non-breathable paint at 70 Wood Bevington, Alcester, B49 5LX.  Following email consultation with Members it was decided for Clerk to respond with “No Objection”

Planning Decisions

e)     19/02548/TREE – Arboricultural work at 1 Church Cottges, Station Rd, Salford Priors, WR11 8UX – No Objection subject to conditions.

f)      1902362/VARY – Variation of condition 2 of planning permission 19/00266/FUL dated 27 March 2019 to allow for amendments to the elevations and internal layout alterations. Original description of development: Construction of 2 detached houses with new access to Station Road, parking and turning space and flood compensation measures (resubmission following withdrawal of application 18/02058/FUL) at The Old Forge, Station Rd, Salford Priors, WR11 8UX.  Planning Permission Granted subject to conditions.

g)     19/02518/COUQ – Prior approval notification for the change of use of agricultural building into 2no. dwellings including associated operational development under Class Q(b) at Wood Bevington Farm B, Wood Bevington, Alcester, B49 5LX.  Prior Approval is Granted subject to conditions.

h)     19/00497/REM – Reserved matters (access, appearance, landscaping, layout and scale) pursuant to outline application 15/03699/OUT for the erection of 5 dwellings at Heath Cottage, Dunnington, Alcester, B49 5NW.  Details are Approved.

i)      19/02468/OUT – outline permission for a single dwelling at Broom Junction, Former Railway Station, High St, Broom has been withdrawn.

j)      19/03193/TREE – T1 – Sycamore – reduce height from 12m to 8m.  Reduce spread from 9m to 6m.  T2 Sycamore – reduce height from 12m to 8m.  Reduce spread from 9m to 6m at land at Evesham Rd, Salford Priors, WR11 8UU.  This is outside the conservation area and therefore it was not necessary to apply for planning permission.

8.       Clerk’s Progress Report:

a)     There is a further issue with the TOPs flooring which is being investigated.  Some guttering is to be repaired/replaced and this will then be re-assessed.  As such the Clerk has delayed the new flooring being laid.  Clerk to monitor.

b)     Dog waste bins still to be moved. Clerk to monitor.

c)     Solar lights in the playing field have now been installed. Noted and Closed.

d)     Following instructions to issue letters regarding overgrown hedges, the Clerk & Cllr Green inspected these areas and found that only one is causing an issue.  Letter has been issued.  Clerk to monitor.

e)     Clerk has contacted Highways regarding blocked drains on Evesham Rd opposite Jack Thomson Croft and a large hole in the footway outside 24/25 School Rd. Clerk to monitor.

f)      Bus shelter – On inspection of the bus shelter the roof and a side glass panel have been destroyed.  There is heavy structural damage to the steelwork.  Please see photos attached.  This to be considered under agenda item 14e

g)     From results of the parish survey the Parish Council are now providing additional dog bins, monitoring the PROW and reporting issues.  Consider advertising for a voluntary team to look after the PROW.  This to be considered under agenda item 13b

h)     Clerk has confirmed a letter of complaint was sent to Road Closures Department regarding the recent School Rd closure.  Noted and Closed

9.       Playing Field:

The monthly inspection was carried out on 1st November 2019 with nothing to report.

Members noted the annual playing field inspection which took place on 21st October 2019:

1.     It was reported that the area of grass mat sections under the zipwire is 3 metres wide and runs the full length of the cable run however British standards look for surfacing 2 metres to each side of the centre line.  Clerk to contact Kompan for comments.

2.     The inspector brought up an issue with signage – Clerk to contact to seek guidance.

3.     Trampoline sign – this was ordered last year and fixed to the fence however it would appear this has gone missing.

4.     It was suggested that a maintenance plan is put in place to check bolts, grease etc.  Clerk to contact Pete Batacanin to see if he is happy to take on this task on a quarterly basis.

5.     There is a drainage issue under the junior swings – Clerk to investigate the repair of this.

6.     It is difficult to get the inclusive roundabout moving – Clerk to chase Kompan regarding this.

Report back at January meeting.

10.    Highways:

The progress of Lengthsman’s jobs issued from last Council meeting was noted:

  • The telephone box has been refurbished.  One piece of the structure has broken and Lengthsman has therefore replaced it with a piece of wood painted red.  Clerk to go back to the group and ask for a design for inside and wording for a notice on the outside. Report back at January meeting.
  • Christmas lights – being fitted prior to the Christmas Switch On.
  • Grit bins checked
  • Leaf clearance – this is being carried out on a weekly basis.

Future tasks were considered:

To provide a quote for the inside of the telephone kiosk once design received.

To remove Christmas lights around the Memorial Hall in January.

11.    Garden Allotments:

A resident has requested that a notice be placed on the allotment field gate “No Parking or Obstructing this Access”.  Members unanimously agreed.  Clerk to order.

12.    Rights of Way:

a)     Cllr Penn had nothing to report.

b)     It was noted that the Clerk has reported the blocked AL4 once again, this time directly to Richard Barnard – the Public Rights of Way Officer with no response.  Clerk to arrange an appointment for Cllr Green to discuss this issue with Angus.

c)     It was noted the Clerk is in in the process of arranging an appointment with Alan Granger, Ragley Estates and Cllr Green regarding the possibility of a permissive footpath link between AL17 & AL11.

d)     A request has been made to re-install the original PROW on AL17 avoiding the area by the A46 bypass completely.  This area was inspected by the Clerk & Cllr Green and whilst there are a couple of issues regarding broken fences which Clerk has reported to Highways England, and rubbish being thrown from the layby up the bank, there does not seem to be any major problem.  Cllr Green proposed that the PROW is left in accordance with Warwickshire County Council’s official map as this is the best route.  Unanimous approval.

13.    Working Groups:

a)     Christmas Tree Switch On – Clerk had received an email from Dunnington School stating that they are not able to decorate the Christmas tree decorations for the Switch on Event, despite having received these prior to half term.  Clerk to ask Salford Priors School if they would like some extra to decorate.

b)     Communications – meeting has not been held to discuss either the proposed one-page newsletter providing an update following the parish questionnaire, the update to the Introduction to Salford Priors nor the Book of Walks.  Clerk to send Doodle to try and get a meeting arranged to report back at the January meeting.

c)     CIL – Clerk has received notification that the figures for CIL are currently being authorised and will be advised of this shortly.  S106 monies in respect of land off School Rd is broken down as follows:

1.     £56,279.72 – Healthcare (Acute and Planned).  These monies to be paid over directly to the South Warwickshire NHS as per the S106 agreement.

2.     £98,575.36 – Play Facilities contribution – these monies are looked after by Helen Smith, Estates Surveyor, Stratford District Council.  She will advise the Clerk regarding this.

d)     It was noted that Cllr Green & Clerk have started assessing the assets and insurance values.

e)     It was noted that Cllr Green & Clerk have started assessing the Emergency Community Plan.  This is dependent on information from Warwickshire County Council & Stratford District Council and information is awaited.

f)      The Cross-Parish Cycleways & Pathways Project report was noted. Cllr Maude provided a verbal update.

14.    Community:

a)     Piper Homes will shortly be re-instating the grass verge outside the development and in an effort to stop residents parking on this Highways have confirmed the Parish Council can install bird mouth fencing.  Cllr James proposed that this be provided trying to tie this in with the landscaping contractors up to the value of £2,000.  Cllr Maude seconded.  Cllr Green to discuss this with the landscaping contractors. Unanimous approval.  It is uncertain whether the Cleeve View residents are aware the new car park provided by Piper Homes is for them to use.  Clerk to put together a leaflet providing this information.

b)     The TOPS Accounts 2019 & Chairman & Treasurer’s Report 2019 was noted.

c)     It was decided that the CIL & Streetlighting Working Groups do not require additional members following Cllr Stedman’s resignation.

d)     It was decided for Clerk to purchase a key safe to install outside the Parish Office up to the value of £30.

e)     Further to Clerk’s report it was unanimously approved to scrap the bus shelter which was removed from School Rd following the Cala development.

f)      It was unanimously approved for Clerk to change the office time from 9am – 1pm with effect from 9th January 2020.  Clerk to inform residents of this via Facebook, website and E-News.

g)     It was decided for Clerk to contact the Church to see if they would consider holding next year’s Remembrance Sunday at the Memorial Hall.  Cllrs Pattison & Shale held a meeting recently regarding VE75 and whether an event should take place.  There was minimal response from residents, with only one resident attending the meeting.  Cllr Shale to forward notes from this to Members.  He will provide some costings for this to be considered at the budget meeting in December.  A working group to consist of Cllrs Shale, Pattison and 1 member of the public.

h)     A meeting was held recently between CALA Homes, Cllr Green & the Clerk. Notes were provided to Members.  A further meeting will take place after Christmas.  Highways to provide the details of road traffic calming measures on School Rd.  Members asked that the following questions are raised:

1.     Would CALA be willing to provide an electrical distribution board for installation on the new green?

2.     What design of fencing will be provided along School Rd?

i)      A meeting was held between Cllr Green and Alan Caldwell-Jones from Highways regarding the speeding issues on Evesham/Station Rd and the possibility of having traffic calming measures (build outs) as you enter the village from either end on Station Rd/Evesham Rd.  This is a possibility but would have to be paid for by the Parish Council.  It is possible that CIL monies could be used for this.  Alan Caldwell-Jones is proposing to hold a road safety meeting in the Memorial Hall.

j)      To confirm the new website is up and running.  Clerk has requested that all Members look at this and let her know whether they would like any changes made.

15.    Matters raised by Councillors:   The following matters were raised by Council Members:

Cllr Maude suggested both he and Cllr Green to attend a meeting between other local Chairs.

16.    Correspondence Considered: (Yellow papers)

An email has been received from 2 residents regarding the new streetlighting on the new Piper Homes development.  Cllr Green has been looking into this and confirmed that approval was given for this through planning.  The lowest form of wattage lantern is already being used and Clerk has emailed Piper Homes asking if it is possible to change the angle of the lights so they are not directed at Cleeve View residents.  Clerk to also ask if they are on a timer as the Parish Council has a dark skies policy.

17.    Correspondence Noted:

Members noted the thank you received from Friends of Salford Priors School for the grant towards forest school kit.

18.    Finance:

a)     Members unanimously approved to appoint Mr Geoff Bradley to carry out an interim internal audit for the Parish Council accounts 2019/20 during December 19/January 2020.

b)     Members considered replacing the photocopier with a new printer.  Clerk has been given a budget of £500 and advised to contact the Lease Company advising that the Parish Council do not want to renew the lease.

c)     The council gave consideration and approval of the payments listed in Appendix A.

d)     Proposed by Cllr D Penn, seconded by Cllr T Shale and agreed by all Councillors.

e)     It was agreed that Cllrs James and Maude would sign cheques for payments listed in Appendix A.


The Council noted the account balances reconciled with the Lloyds Bank Current Account statement Number 21 and Deposit Account Statement 48 issued 1st November 2019 :-

Lloyds Deposit Account:   £  98,676.81

Lloyds Current Account    £    7,202.54
Total Fund Balance             £105,879.35

19.    Staffing Confidential:

It was noted that Cllr Green had carried out the half year review with the Clerk.

20.    Date of Next Meeting:

Council confirmed the date of the next Ordinary Parish Council Meeting on Wednesday 18th December 2019 at the Memorial Hall, Salford Priors to discuss the budget and any planning applications that are received.

21.    Closure of Meeting:  The Chairman closed the meeting at 21:10 hrs




Chairman: ______________________________________________Date:_________________




000542 Cash Christmas Float 200.00 200.00
000543 The Poppy Appeal Donation & Wreath 268.50 268.50
000544 HMRC Clerk & Parish Council NIC 22.15 22.15
BACS Prolectric Solar Lighting – playing field 3,466.80 577.80 2,889.00
BACS Mrs D Bowles Clerk’s Salary & Expenses 809.36 809.36
BACS Mr A Greatrex Xmas Expenses 27.99 27.99
BACS John Hicks & Assoc Playing Field Annual Inspection 204.00 34.00 170.00
BACS LRS Amenity Contract 3,748.56 624.76 3,123.80
BACS P Batacanin Monthly Playing field inspection 10.00 10.00
BACS Digital Copier Systems Ltd Photocopier Charges 8.64 1.44 7.20
BACS Namesco Website Updates 198.00 33.00 165.00
DD Npower Streetlight Energy 117.10 5.58 111.52
DD Npower Streetlight Energy 304.90 14.52 290.38
DD CF Corporate Finance Photocopier Rental 42.00 7.00 35.00
DD Nest Clerk’s Pension 95.93 95.93
DD EDF Energy TOPs electricity 75.00 75.00
Total     9,598.93 1,298.10 8,300.83


Leave a comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.